Snapchat bots are automated accounts that are used to send spam messages, promote fake news, and scam users. They can be annoying and even dangerous, so it’s important to know how to avoid them.
Why Do Bots Add You on Snapchat?
There are a few reasons why bots might add you on Snapchat:
- Making money off of you: Some spambots may try to trick you into sending them money by offering you explicit pictures or messages.
- Promoting fake news: Other spambots may try to spread fake news or propaganda by sending you links to websites or articles.
- Scamming you with crypto: Some spambots may try to scam you into investing in cryptocurrency by sending you fake cryptocurrency offers.
- Stealing your credentials: Some spambots may try to steal your Snapchat account information or other sensitive information by sending you links to phishing websites.
- Directing traffic to something: Some spambots may try to direct traffic to a website or profile by sending you links or messages.
How to Stop Bots From Adding You on Snapchat
There are a few things you can do to stop bots from adding you on Snapchat:
1. Turn off “Show Me On Quick Add”: This feature allows Snapchat to suggest friends to you based on your interests and mutual friends. Turning it off will make your profile less visible to bots.
To remove yourself from Quick Add on Snapchat, tap your profile in the top left and click on the Settings icon in the top right.
Scroll down to ‘Privacy Controls’ and then tap ‘See me in Quick Add.’ Switch the slider to the OFF position.
2. Turn off Add By Email and Add By Phone Number: This will prevent bots from finding you by searching for your email address or phone number.
To turn off add by email and phone number, tap your profile in the top left and click on the Settings icon in the top right.
Tap on Mobile Number. Uncheck the ‘Let others find me using my mobile number’ option.
Return to the Settings page and tap on Email. Disable ‘Let others find me using my email address’.
3. Change your Snap Code: This is a unique code that you can use to add friends on Snapchat. Changing your Snap Code will make it more difficult for bots to find you.
To change Snap Code, tap your profile in the top left and click on the Settings icon in the top right. Select Snapcode > Change Snapcode.
4. Make sure you know who added you before adding them back: Don’t add people back on Snapchat if you don’t know who they are.
5. Click on the X when they add you to ignore them: If you receive an add request from a bot, you can simply click on the X to ignore it.
6. Block them: If you are being harassed by a bot, you can block them. This will prevent them from contacting you again.
7. Change your username: This is a more drastic measure, but it can be effective if you are being targeted by bots.
8. Report to Snapchat: If you encounter a bot, you should report it to Snapchat. This will help Snapchat to identify and remove bots from the platform.
Spammers can get your Snapchat information by searching for it online, or by using software that automatically generates usernames and passwords.
There are a few things you can do to avoid Snapchat bots.
First, be careful about who you add as friends. Only add people you know and trust.
Second, be careful about what information you share on your profile. Don’t include your email address, phone number, or other personal information.
Third, be careful about clicking on links that you receive in messages from strangers. These links could lead to malicious websites that could steal your information or install malware on your device.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of expertise in crafting tech troubleshooting guides. He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
Jasper’s “How-to” guides are often referenced by experts on platforms such as JustAnswer to help answer user’s tech queries. His articles are quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies like WikiHow, Think Impact, Enterprise Apps Today, and many others.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures.