This article covers the best solutions for when the Sling TV app is slow, won’t stop buffering, keeps crashing, or even completely disappears on a Nvidia Shield TV.
Why Is Sling TV Not Working On Shield TV?
There are a few reasons why Sling TV might not be working on your Shield TV. These include:
- Network connectivity issues
- Outdated Shield TV software
- Outdated Sling TV app
- Sling TV server issues. Sometimes Sling TV servers go down, which can cause problems with streaming.
- VPN interference. VPN usage can impact streaming speed and cause latency fluctuations.
How to Fix Sling TV Not Working On Shield TV?
Here are a few things you can try to fix Sling TV not working on your Shield TV:
1. Check your network connection. The easiest way to do this is to try another app that also requires access to the internet.
Pro Tip: Use an Ethernet cable for a stable internet connection.
2. Check if Sling TV’s down. The Sling TV service itself could simply be experiencing server or other technical issues.
3. Check your HDMI cable: Make sure your HDMI cable is properly connected to your Nvidia Shield and TV. You may also want to try using a different HDMI cable.
4. Restart your Shield TV. Sometimes restarting your Shield TV can fix problems. To restart your Shield TV, go to Settings > Device Preferences > About > Reboot
5. Power cycle your Shield TV. Unplug your Shield TV from power. Wait 30 seconds. Plug your Shield TV back in. Turn on your Shield TV.
Warning: Don’t perform this frequently; it can harm your devices.
6. Update your Sling TV app. To update your Sling TV app, go to the Play Store and search for Sling TV. If there is an update available, you will see an Update button. On the Home screen, open the Play Store > My Apps > Sling TV > Update.
7. Log out of Sling TV and log back in again. Quickly sign out and then back in to refresh the app and potentially fix any glitches affecting your Nvidia Shield TV Sling TV app.
Tip: If you suspect a stranger is accessing your Sling TV account, change your password to prevent them from logging in.
8. Clear Sling TV app cache. Clearing the app cache can sometimes fix problems with streaming apps. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > See all apps > Sling TV > Clear cache.
9. Uninstall and Reinstall Sling TV app. Delete the Sling TV app from your Shield TV and then reinstall it again. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > See all apps > Sling TV > Uninstall.
10. Disable VPN or proxy servers: If you are using a VPN or proxy server, try disabling it. Some VPNs and proxy servers can interfere with streaming apps. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > See all apps > VPN app > Force Stop.
11. Update your Shield TV software. To update your Shield TV software, go to Settings > Device Preferences > About > System upgrade.
12. Disable WiFi roaming. WiFi roaming can sometimes cause problems with streaming. To disable WiFi roaming, go to Settings > Network & Internet Settings > Disable WiFi Roaming.
13. Turn off AI upscaling. AI upscaling can sometimes cause problems with streaming. To turn off AI upscaling, go to Settings > AI upscaling > Basic.
14. Disable ad blockers. Ad blockers can sometimes block necessary content from Sling TV. To disable ad blockers, go to your ad blocker settings and disable it for Sling TV.
15. Disable IPv6. Some users have reported that Sling TV works better when IPv6 is disabled. To disable IPv6, go to Settings > Network and Internet > Toggle OFF Enable IPv6.
16. Check DNS Settings. Incorrect DNS settings can also cause streaming issues. To check your DNS settings, go to Settings > Network and Internet > IP settings. Make sure the following settings are correct.
- IP address: This should be set to “DHCP” or “Static” depending on your network configuration.
- DNS 1: This should be set to the DNS address of your ISP or a public DNS server like 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168.
- DNS 2: This should be set to a secondary DNS server if provided by your ISP.
17. Factory reset your Shield TV. If you have tried all of the other steps and Sling TV is still not working, you may need to factory reset your Shield TV. To factory reset your Shield TV, go to Settings > Device Preferences > Storage > Factory reset > Erase everything.
Warning: A factory reset will erase all of your data and settings.
18. Contact Sling TV or Nvidia customer support. It could be an issue with your Sling TV account or Shield TV, and Sling TV or Nvidia customer support should be able to help you determine if that’s the case.
Yes, Nvidia Shield runs on Android, featuring Google Assistant and built-in 4K Chromecast functionality.
Yes, Nvidia Shield supports Widevine L1 certification. Verify this using the DRM Info app from the Play Store.
Was this page helpful?
Rachel Turner is a technology writer and streaming expert with over 5 years of comprehensive experience in the dynamic world of digital entertainment.
Rachel has meticulously researched, tested, and documented solutions for common streaming hiccups. Whether you’re facing buffering problems, login issues, or any other streaming-related challenge, Rachel Turner is your reliable source for definitive solutions in the ever-evolving world of digital entertainment.