Notifications not working on Schoology is a common problem that can manifest as not receiving any notifications at all, or only receiving them for certain types of activity. This page covers all of the tested and proven solutions for how to fix it when Schoology notifications are not working, in addition to some tips for how to stop the problem from happening in the future.
Note: Before you start troubleshooting why you aren’t receiving any Schoology notifications, always confirm you’re connected to at least one network (cellular or Wi-Fi) and have an internet connection.
The quickest way to do this is to open another app that needs an internet connection. You can switch between Wi-Fi and Cellular connection and toggle Airplane Mode on and off to fix connection issues.
Note: The following tips on resolving problems with the Schoology app will fix the issues with Android and iPhone versions of the Schoology app.
Cause of Schoology Notifications Not Showing Up
There are many different causes for not receiving notifications on your Schoology.
- Either system or app notifications are turned off.
- Do Not Disturb or Airplane Mode is on.
- Power or data settings are preventing apps from retrieving notification alerts.
- Schoology is constantly updating its app, and bugs can sometimes occur that cause notifications to stop working.
- Outdated Schoology app or OS software can cause apps to freeze or crash and not deliver notifications.
How to Fix Schoology Notifications Not Working
Here are some of the ways to fix it when Schoology notifications are not showing up
1. Make sure you haven’t turned off Schoology app notifications. If you aren’t receiving notifications from Schoology, the most likely culprit is the notification settings for that app. Every app has its own set of permissions to access features like notifications. Make sure notifications are enabled for the apps you want.
iOS: Go to Settings > Notifications > Schoology. Make sure that Allow Notifications is toggled on and that Sounds, Badges, and Alerts are all enabled.
Android: Go to Settings > Apps > Schoology > Notifications. Make sure that Allow Notifications is toggled on and that all of the notification types are enabled.
2. Check Do Not Disturb is not enabled. It may seem obvious, but forgetting Do Not Disturb is enabled is one of the most common causes for not receiving notifications. If this setting is on (enabled), turn it off, and they will start working again.
iOS: Turn off Do Not Disturb mode by selecting Control Center > focus icon > select any setting other than Do Not Disturb.
Android: Pull down the Quick Settings and tap Do Not Disturb. Long-press Do Not Disturb to go to its settings.
3. Restart your phone. Most of the issues that cause a lack of notification can be resolved by restarting your phone. That’s because even if the problem is a frozen or crashed app, a bad network connection, or anything else, restarting the phone may automatically resolve those issues and avoid a lengthy troubleshooting process.
4. Check your battery-saving settings. You can adjust power settings on your device to turn off apps or app features when the battery drops below a certain level. Battery Saver Mode is a common cause for notification issues. Also, make sure you don’t have a battery saver app running, which may be blocking app notifications when your battery is low.
5. Clear the Schoology app cache on your Android device or clear the cache on an iPhone. Every app has a cache and app data storage area where it stores information about your usage and activity. This data can get corrupt or too large, leading to unusual app behavior such as notifications stopping. Clearing app cache and data often resolve these issues.
6. Check for Schoology app updates. Check for and install any Schoology app updates on your Android device or app updates on your iPhone. If your Schoology app is ever out of date, it can lead to connection errors and other issues that may lead to Schoology not showing notifications.
7. Make sure background data is not restricted. If you’re not getting notifications from Schoology, the app might not be allowed to run in the background. Almost any app with a notifications feature has to run in the background for notifications to work. To fix this, you need to turn on the background data on Android or turn on the background data on iPhone.
8. Uninstall and reinstall the Schoology app. If nothing else has worked to this point, take the time to completely uninstall Schoology from your Android or iPhone. Then reinstall the Schoology app on your device.
9. Update your iPhone or Update your Android device. Your OS may be out of date if all else has failed. OS updates often include new features which affect notifications. If you haven’t updated your phone in a while, apps that rely on those new features for issuing alerts will stop working.
10. Contact Schoology support: If you have tried all of the above steps and you are still not receiving Schoology notifications, you can contact Schoology support for assistance.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the Editor of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of expertise in crafting tech troubleshooting guides. He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
Jasper’s “How-to” guides are often referenced by experts on platforms such as JustAnswer to help answer user’s tech queries. His articles are quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies like WikiHow, Think Impact, Enterprise Apps Today, and many others.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures.