Your iPhone is a powerhouse of applications, each with its own set of preferences and settings. Over time, you may find that your apps aren’t behaving as they should or that you want to start fresh with app settings. In such cases, resetting your iPhone’s app settings can be a handy solution.
This process resets all app-specific configurations to their default values without affecting your app data. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to reset your iPhone’s app settings.
What happens when you reset iPhone App Settings?
- When you reset your iPhone’s app settings, it primarily affects the settings related to your apps and their behavior.
- This action does not delete any of your apps or their data.
- It reverts app-specific settings back to their default values. This can include preferences like notification settings, permissions, background app refresh settings, and other app-specific configurations.
- It can be useful if you’re experiencing issues with the way apps function, and you want to start with a clean slate for app settings while keeping your data intact.
Why Reset App Settings?
Resetting your app settings can be a useful troubleshooting step when you encounter issues like:
- Notification problems: If you’re not receiving notifications from certain apps or they are behaving erratically, resetting app settings can help restore default notification settings.
- Permissions issues: Apps often require various permissions, such as access to the camera, location, or contacts. If an app is not working correctly due to permission problems, resetting its settings can prompt you to reconfigure these permissions.
- Background refresh problems: Some apps rely on background app refresh to update content in the background. If this isn’t working as expected, resetting app settings can help.
Steps to Reset iPhone App Settings
- Unlock Your iPhone: Make sure your iPhone is unlocked and on the home screen.
- Open Settings: Locate and tap on the “Settings” app on your home screen. It’s the gear-shaped icon.
- Scroll Down and Tap “General”: In the Settings app, scroll down and tap on “General.” This option usually appears near the top of the list.
- Scroll Down and Tap “Reset”: Scroll down in the General menu and select “Reset.” It’s located toward the bottom of the list of options.
- Choose “Reset All Settings”: From the Reset menu, choose “Reset All Settings.” This option is distinct from other reset options like “Erase All Content and Settings,” as it only affects app and system settings without erasing your data.
- Enter Your Passcode: To confirm the reset, you’ll be asked to enter your device passcode. This step is essential to ensure that the reset is authorized.
- Confirm the Reset: A confirmation prompt will appear, informing you that resetting all settings will return them to their defaults. Tap “Reset All Settings” to proceed.
- Wait for the Reset: Your iPhone will go through the reset process, which may take a few minutes. Your device will restart, and when it’s back to the home screen, the app settings will have been reset.
- Reconfigure App Settings: After the reset is complete, you’ll need to reconfigure any app-specific settings according to your preferences. This may include permissions, notification settings, and any other customizations you had previously set.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Data Retention: Remember that resetting your app settings does not delete any app data or the apps themselves. It only reverts settings to their default values.
- Wi-Fi and Network Settings: Resetting app settings does not affect your Wi-Fi or network settings. If you’re facing network-related issues, you may want to consider resetting your iPhone’s network settings separately.
- Backup: It’s a good practice to back up your device before performing any significant reset, just in case something goes wrong or if you need to revert to your previous settings.
- App-Specific Behaviors: Resetting app settings will not change the fundamental behavior of an app or resolve app-related bugs. If an app is malfunctioning, you may need to contact the app’s developer or check for updates.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.