This article covers the best solutions for when Vudu isn’t working properly on an LG smart TV. Whether your Vudu app is slow, won’t stop buffering, keeps crashing, or even completely disappears, this page will provide several quick fixes to get your Vudu streaming properly again.
Why Can’t I Get Vudu Working On My LG Smart TV?
Vudu technical issues on smart TVs, such as those made by LG, are usually caused by:
- Out-of-date WebOS operating system
- Out-of-date Vudu app
- Internet connectivity problems
- Vudu service outages
- Location conflicts
How to Fix the Vudu App on LG Smart TVs
Here’s all of the best solutions for Vudu problems on LG’s smart TVs. It’s best to work through these fixes in the order presented as they’re listed from fastest and easiest to more complex.
1. Find the Vudu app in LG smart TV’s My Apps menu. Vudu disappeared from LG smart TV? Smart TV apps often get automatically removed from the main or home screen when they’re not used for a while. Don’t worry though. The Vudu app, and all of your other unused installed apps, can be found on the My Apps screen.
2. Install the LG TV Vudu app. The Vudu app usually comes preinstalled on LG smart TVs, but if for some reason it wasn’t on yours, you can download it at any time.
Note: To install the app on LG TV, press the Home button on your remote. Open the LG Content Store. In the search bar, type the name of the app you want to install. Select the app and install
3. Check your LG TV’s internet connection. The easiest way to do this is to try another app that also requires access to the internet.
4. Check if Vudu’s down. The Vudu service itself could simply be experiencing server or other technical issues.
5. Try another Vudu episode or movie. Vudu streaming issues can sometimes affect specific films or episodes. If other Vudu content streams fine and the program you want to watch doesn’t try waiting an hour or so for the issue to remedy itself.
6. Restart your LG smart TV. To restart your LG smart TV, press Volume Down + Power on your remote control for 12 seconds. If this method doesn’t work, you can unplug your TV, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it in again.
7. Update the LG Vudu app. Select LG Content Store > Apps > Vudu > Update to download and install the latest Vudu app update. If you can’t see the Update option, you already have the latest version installed.
8. Update your LG smart TV’s firmware. To update your LG smart TV’s operating system, open Settings and select All Settings > Support > Software Update.
Note: To update the operating system on LG smart TVs running WebOS 4.5 or lower, open Settings and select All Settings > General > About This TV > Check For Updates.
9. Reboot your internet router. If your LG smart TV is experiencing internet connectivity issues on multiple apps, a router reboot could be the solution.
10. Use a wired internet connection. Rather than connecting your TV to the internet via Wi-Fi, which can sometimes be too slow for streaming Vudu, connect it directly to your internet router via a cable connection.
Tip: An Ethernet cable is the common way to connect a smart TV to an internet router or modem, though a coaxial cable can also be used when ethernet isn’t an option.
11. Log out of Vudu and log back in again. Quickly sign out and then back in to refresh the app and potentially fix any glitches affecting your LG smart TV Vudu app.
12. Use your real location. On your LG smart TV, open Settings > All Settings, select General > Location and select your current physical location. Vudu can disable accounts that appear as though they’re lying about their region.
13. Turn off your VPN. Vudu is known to block accounts that use a VPN.
14. Sign all accounts out of Vudu on all devices. Open the Vudu app or website on any device and sign out from all devices. It’s possible that too many people were accessing your Vudu account simultaneously.
15. Uninstall the LG smart TV Vudu app. Delete the Vudu app from your LG TV and then reinstall it again.
To delete an app from an LG Smart TV, press the remote’s Home button to bring up the Home screen on the TV. Use the remote to select the Pencil icon to the right of the apps. Use the left arrow on the remote to go to an app you want to delete and press OK on the remote. Use the remote’s up arrow to go to the X at the top of the app. Press OK. Select Yes to remove the app.
Tip: If you suspect a stranger is accessing your Vudu account, change your password to prevent them from logging in.
16. Accept the user agreements. To do this, open Settings and select All Settings > Support > Additional Settings > User Agreement. These agreements must be accepted on your LG smart TV before services such as Vudu can be used.
17. Disable IPv6. Open Settings > All Settings, select Network Wi-Fi Connection > Advanced Wi-Fi Settings, and select Off under IPv6. If it’s already off, toggle it on and off again to ensure it’s properly disabled. The IPv6 setting has been known to interfere with Vudu and other online services.
18. Cast Vudu to your LG smart TV. If you still can’t get the LG Vudu app to work on your smart TV, try casting content to it from the Vudu app on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
19. Factory reset your LG smart TV. If none of the above fixes get Vudu working, perform a hard reset on your TV to remove all apps and settings and return it to its as-new state. This can often fix a host of problems. To do this, open Settings > All Settings and select General > System > Reset To Initial Settings.
Note: To reset LG smart TVs running Web OS 5.0, select Support > Reset To Initial Settings. For WebOS 4.5 and lower, select General > Reset To Initial Settings.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.