Vudu app not working on an iPhone is a common problem that can manifest as the app freezing while in use or even completely crashing and restarting. This page covers all of the tested and proven solutions for how to fix it when Vudu app stops working on an iPhone in addition to some tips for how to stop the iPhone Vudu app from freezing and crashing in the future.
Note: The fixes on this page apply to the iOS Vudu app on all iPhone smartphone models from the iPhone 5S and higher.
Why Is Vudu Crashing on an iPhone?
Vudu crashing or not opening on an iPhone can be caused by an out-of-date app or operating system, a lack of free space on the iPhone, or an inability to connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular internet connection.
The Vudu service being down or offline can also cause the Vudu app to freeze, crash, or stop running properly.
How to Fix Vudu Not Playing on an iPhone
Here are the best solutions for how to fix Vudu problems on an iPhone smartphones.
1. Check if Vudu’s down. The Vudu service could be experiencing a server outage or other technical issue.
2. Switch between Wi-Fi and cellular connection. Check your iPhone’s Wi-Fi or cellular connection. The quickest way to do this is to open another app that needs an internet connection. If your Wi-Fi is slow or completely down, turn it off and try using your iPhone’s cellular connection to access Vudu. If your Mobile data is slow or completely down, turn it off and try using your Wi-Fi to access Vudu.
3. Toggle Airplane Mode on and off. This only takes a few seconds and is an easy way to reset your iPhone’s Wi-Fi and cellular connections.
4. Restart the Vudu app on your iPhone. Properly closing the Vudu app, not just minimizing it, and then opening it again could fix the problem.
5. Restart your iPhone. A quick restart can fix a number of iPhone app problems.
6. Check whether your Vudu plan is still active.
7. Update the Vudu app. An app update may be required to get Vudu to open on your iPhone and work properly.
Wait for the app update to finish. If the Vudu app icon appears faded and is unresponsive, this means that the app’s in the process of being updated. Make sure your iPhone’s connected to the internet and wait until the update’s finished.
Note: An iPhone app update can take anywhere from a minute to half an hour depending on your iPhone model and the speed of the internet connection.
8. Update your iPhone. Downloading and installing the latest iOS operating system can fix a variety of system and app issues.
9. Free-up space on your iPhone. A lack of free space can often cause iPhone apps to crash or not open.
10. Log out of Vudu and then log back in. This quick process can reset your device’s connection to Vudu’s servers.
11. Reinstall the Vudu app. Uninstall the Vudu app on your iPhone and then reinstall it via the App Store.
12. Disable iPhone’s Content & Privacy Restrictions settings. Open Settings and select Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions and make sure the main switch is off.
Tip: Alternatively, you can add Vudu to the list of exceptions in Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
13. Reset your iPhone’s app settings. Performing the Reset All Settings procedure keeps all your files and data intact but will clear your iPhone’s preferences relating to how apps are used. This can clear out any conflicting settings that are stopping Vudu from working properly.
Important: Make sure to choose Reset All Settings when performing a reset. Other options such as Erase All Content and Settings can completely remove everything from your iPhone.
14. Reset your iPhone’s network settings. If the Vudu app is having trouble connecting to the Vudu servers, performing a network settings reset could fix it.
15. Use Vudu on your computer. If you still can’t get Vudu working on your iPhone or you’re forced to wait for a repair to be made, you can access the service via the web in the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge web browser.
16. Contact Vudu or Apple Customer Support. If nothing else appears to be working, reach out to Vudu’s official support to see if they can fix the issue.
For issues with the iPhone, you can make a Genius Bar appointment. Apple users can get one-on-one tech support from a trained specialist at the Genius Bar for Apple devices.
If Vudu notifications aren’t working, ensure you’ve enabled notifications in your iPhone settings. Next, go to your Vudu account and select the notifications you want to receive. Also, ensure your phone isn’t set to Do Not Disturb, and clear the Vudu data cache.
Was this page helpful?
Rachel Turner is a technology writer and streaming expert with over 5 years of comprehensive experience in the dynamic world of digital entertainment.
Rachel has meticulously researched, tested, and documented solutions for common streaming hiccups. Whether you’re facing buffering problems, login issues, or any other streaming-related challenge, Rachel Turner is your reliable source for definitive solutions in the ever-evolving world of digital entertainment.