In this guide, you’ll learn effective solutions for addressing the issue of a stuck black screen on your Steam Deck.
How to fix the Steam Deck Black Screen Issue
Here are the best solutions for addressing the Steam Deck black screen issue.
1. Force restart your Steam Deck. When encountering the Steam Deck black screen, start by force rebooting your device. It’s the quickest and simplest method to resolve issues. Follow these steps.
- Press the Power button for 4 seconds (7 seconds for OLED models).
- Wait 30 seconds, then turn on your Steam Deck.
- If the black screen persists, press the Power button for 10 seconds (16 seconds for OLED) to force restart.
2. Check the battery. If your Steam Deck lacks power, it can trigger the black screen issue. To resolve this, connect the original type-C charger to your device.
Ensure the charging port is clean from dust or dirt. Look for the small LED next to the port; if it lights up after connecting the charger, your device is charging.
3. Enter BIOS. To fix the Steam Deck black screen, you can also try entering its BIOS mode. Here’s how:
- Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds to fully shut down your Steam Deck.
- Next, hold the Volume Up button and simultaneously press the Power button to access the BIOS menu.
- Once in BIOS, use the D-Pad button to select Continue and press A.
Note: If the black screen persists, re-enter BIOS and go to Setup Utility > Power > Battery storage mode.
4. Boot into recovery mode. If your Steam Deck remains unresponsive with a black screen, consider using recovery options. Once in the recovery environment, select Reinstall Steam OS to refresh your system without losing game or personal data.
If reinstalling Steam OS doesn’t fix the black screen, consider reimaging the device. This option erases all data, including user info, games, and apps.
To avoid data loss, back up your Steam Deck drive by cloning it to an SD card or other storage using MiniTool Partition Wizard. It’s a user-friendly tool for disk cloning and partition management, offering features like formatting, resizing drives, and recovering data.
5. Contact Steam support. If none of the above fixes resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Steam Support for expert assistance. They can provide professional suggestions to help you troubleshoot further.
If your Steam Deck is stuck on a black screen, use this guide to resolve the issue. Feel free to share any additional solutions or experiences in the comments below.
Was this page helpful?
Costa Rozakis is a seasoned gaming troubleshooter and writer with over a decade of experience. Costa’s journey began with a love for gaming that naturally evolved into a mission to help fellow gamers overcome technical challenges and glitches. Costa also excels in crafting comprehensive game walkthrough guides.
Costa’s articles are a lifeline for gamers encountering everything from pesky bugs and connectivity problems to performance hiccups and hardware issues. So, if you find yourself stuck in a gaming dilemma, trust Costa’s insights to guide you through, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience every time.