This guide will walk you through all of the proven fixes for Fubo caption and subtitle issues to help get the correct language showing again and solve any display and audio/video sync issues.
The solutions on this page are known to work with the Fubo app on all supported devices such as smart TVs, iPhones and iPads, Android devices and streaming sticks, and set-top boxes.
Why Subtitles Aren’t Working on Fubo
A movie or TV episode’s subtitles not showing correctly or at all in the Fubo app can be caused by many issues. These problems can range from a simple streaming or download glitch to an out-of-date app or operating system. A lack of free space on the streaming device can also be a cause.
Fubo subtitles or captions displaying the incorrect language are typically due to incorrect settings within the Fubo app or inaccurate language preferences on an account or smart device.
How Do I Fix Subtitles on Fubo?
You can often fix Fubo subtitle bugs by trying one or two of the following proven solutions. We recommend working through this list of Fubo subtitle fixes in the order shown below, from easiest and quickest to more advanced and time-consuming.
1. Manually select the correct subtitles. If the subtitles aren’t showing or are bringing up the wrong language, you can manually change the defaults at any time.
2. Turn subtitles off, then on again. Quickly disabling and then enabling captions can fix content sync problems.
3. Restart the Fubo movie or episode. If your subtitles are out of sync with the scene or aren’t appearing at all, returning to the Fubo app menu and restarting the stream could fix it.
4. Change the Fubo app language settings. From the Settings screen in the Fubo app, check to make sure the correct language and region, if available, is selected.
5. Change your device’s language and country settings. Your language or region settings may be overriding the Fubo app subtitle preferences. You can change language settings on most devices, including iPhones, Android devices, and Windows PCs.
On iPhone, Go to Settings > General > Language & Region > iPhone Language > choose a language > Done.
On Android Phone, Go to Settings > System > Languages & Input > Languages > Add a Language > Select a language and a dialect if applicable.
On Windows PCs, Go to Settings > Time & Language > Language > Add a language > search for and select language, then follow the on-screen prompts.
6. Check your device’s accessibility settings. Some of these options relating to media, text, and languages could be overriding the Fubo app’s preferences.
7. Update your Google account language settings. Google accounts can override language preferences based on the account’s origin country or even where a user has traveled. To help remedy this, go to the Google Language page, and choose your preferred language and your language region.
8. Delete unwanted languages from your Google account. While on your Google account Language settings screen, delete any languages you don’t want to use in connected apps and services.
9. Restart the Fubo app. Closing the Fubo app fully and then reopening it can fix a lot of streaming issues. If you’re watching Fubo on an iPhone or iPad, make sure that you quit the iPhone/iPad app and don’t just minimize it. The same goes for quitting Android apps.
10. Try another film or series. The subtitles could be programmed incorrectly for the show or movie that you’re watching. Try watching something else to see if this is the case.
12. Update your streaming device. Your smartphone, tablet, video game console, streaming stick or box, and even your smart TV may need an operating system update.
14. Let Fubo know. Think the problem’s on Fubo’s end? You can report subtitle errors or glitches directly to Fubo. Include as much information as possible such as the show name, the time the subtitle or caption errors occur, your language settings, and the device you’re using.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.