This guide provides tested solutions and tips to address Steam Deck overheating, ensuring smoother gameplay sessions in the future.
How to Fix Steam Deck Overheating Issue
Here are effective solutions to tackle Steam Deck overheating.
1. Restart your Steam Deck. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve overheating issues.
- Hold the Power button for 12 seconds.
- Wait for 10 minutes with the console off.
- Turn the console back on and check for overheating.
2. Toggling off updated fan control. After recent updates, some users couldn’t hear the fan noise on their Deck, mistakenly assuming the fan wasn’t working. However, a Reddit user discovered that turning off the fan control updates resolved the Steam Deck heating issue.
3. Take a break between game sessions. Extended gaming sessions without breaks can cause your Steam Deck to overheat and shut off automatically. This is common among regular gamers but not necessary for your console’s health.
Continuing to use the device without breaks damages internal components and may lead to skin burns if it gets too hot while playing in handheld mode. It’s advisable to take breaks to prevent overheating and ensure a comfortable gaming experience.
4. Check the in-game settings. High FPS settings can contribute to increased temperature. Lower the framerate limit and refresh rate in the game settings to reduce heat generation.
- Open the game experiencing heating problems.
- While in-game, tap the Quick menu button on your Steam Deck to access Performance Settings.
- From there, adjust the framerate limit and refresh rate to your preference.
- Toggle on Use per game profile for customization.
5. Place the Steam Deck in a well-ventilated place. To maintain normal operation, electronics need ample airflow during use. Consider using a fan to circulate air while using your Steam Deck, ensuring it operates in temperatures between 5°C and 35°C (95°F).
6. Regular cleaning. Dust can accumulate in the vents, affecting efficiency. To prevent this, ensure regular cleaning of the vents.
If there’s excessive dust buildup and you can’t clean it yourself, consider professional help or use a dust blower for maintenance. Explore options for keeping dust at bay.
7. Update the Steam deck. Your SteamOS may be outdated, causing your Steam Deck to heat up quickly.
- Tap the Steam Button to open the sidebar.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select System (second option).
- Look for a yellow icon indicating available updates.
- Click Apply and Restart to complete the update.
- Repeat the process to check for any pending updates until your system is up to date.
8. Contact Steam Deck support. If overheating issues persist despite troubleshooting, reach out to Steam Deck support for assistance. They can help diagnose and address underlying hardware or software issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Various factors can lead to Steam Deck overheating, with dust buildup in the vents being a primary cause. This blocks ventilation, leading to rapid overheating.
Excessive heat can indeed harm your Steam Deck. The device has built-in temperature limits, and when it overheats, it typically shuts down automatically. However, prolonged exposure to high temperatures can also cause damage to its internal components.
Rice used to be thought of as a fix for drying electronic devices. However, it’s not recommended because rice contains dirt that can further damage your device. Instead, using a hairdryer or blower is a better option for drying electronics.
Was this page helpful?
Costa Rozakis is a seasoned gaming troubleshooter and writer with over a decade of experience. Costa’s journey began with a love for gaming that naturally evolved into a mission to help fellow gamers overcome technical challenges and glitches. Costa also excels in crafting comprehensive game walkthrough guides.
Costa’s articles are a lifeline for gamers encountering everything from pesky bugs and connectivity problems to performance hiccups and hardware issues. So, if you find yourself stuck in a gaming dilemma, trust Costa’s insights to guide you through, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience every time.