Google Weather app not working is a common problem that can manifest as the app freezing while in use or even completely crashing and restarting.
This page covers all of the tested and proven solutions for how to fix it when Google Weather stops working in addition to some tips for how to stop the Google Weather app from freezing and crashing in the future.
Why Is Google Weather Crashing?
Google Weather app crashing or not opening can be caused by an out-of-date app or operating system, a lack of free space on the phone, or an inability to connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular internet connection.
The Google Weather service being down or offline can also cause the Google Weather app to freeze, crash, or stop running properly.
How to Fix Google Weather Not Opening
Here are the best solutions for how to fix Google Weather app problems on Android smartphonea.
1. Check if Google Weather’s down. The Google Weather service could be experiencing a server outage or other technical issue.
2. Switch between Wi-Fi and cellular connection. Check your phone’s Wi-Fi or cellular connection. The quickest way to do this is to open another app that needs an internet connection. If Wi-Fi is slow or down, switch to cellular. If cellular is slow or down, switch to Wi-Fi.
3. Toggle Airplane Mode on and off. This only takes a few seconds and is an easy way to reset your phone’s Wi-Fi and cellular connections.
4. Restart the Google Weather app on your phone. Properly closing the Google Weather app, not just minimizing it, and then opening it again could fix the problem.
5. Restart your phone. A quick restart can fix a number of phone app problems.
6. Update the Google Weather app. An app update may be required to get Google Weather app to open on your phone and work properly.
Wait for the app update to finish. If the Google Weather app icon appears faded and is unresponsive, this means that the app’s in the process of being updated. Make sure your phone’s connected to the internet and wait until the update’s finished.
Note: A phone app update can take anywhere from a minute to half an hour depending on your phone model and the speed of the internet connection.
7. Update your phone. Downloading and installing the latest iOS operating system can fix a variety of system and app issues.
8. Free-up space on your phone. A lack of free space can often cause phone apps to crash or not open.
9. Log out of Google Weather and then log back in. This quick process can reset your device’s connection to Google Weather’s servers.
10. Reinstall the Google Weather app. Uninstall the Google Weather app on your phone and then reinstall it via the App Store.
11. Reset your phone’s app settings. Performing the Reset All Settings procedure keeps all your files and data intact but will clear your phone’s preferences relating to how apps are used. This can clear out any conflicting settings that are stopping Google Weather from working properly.
12. Reset your phone’s network settings. If the Google Weather app is having trouble connecting to the Google Weather servers, performing a network settings reset could fix it.
13. Contact Google Weather Customer Support. If nothing else appears to be working, reach out to Google Weather’s official support to see if they can fix the issue.
14. Use Google Weather on your computer. If you still can’t get Google Weather working on your phone or you’re forced to wait for a repair to be made, you can access the service via the web in the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge web browser.
If Google Weather notifications aren’t working, ensure you’ve enabled notifications in your phone settings. Next, go to your Google Weather account and select the notifications you want to receive. Also, ensure your phone isn’t set to Do Not Disturb, and clear the Google Weather data cache.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.