If you’re frustrated when Genshin Impact won’t update on the Mac, we’ve got some potential solutions you can try to troubleshoot the issue.
What Causes Genshin Impact to Fail to Update on Mac?
If you can’t update Genshin Impact on Mac, this can be for a number of reasons with some being easier to fix than others. Here’s a quick overview of why Genshin Impact might not be updating.
- The Genshin Impact servers are down. Sometimes, Genshin Impact’s servers can be down, so it’s a good idea to check if the issue is on your end or theirs first before doing anything else.
- A VPN or firewall is blocking access to Genshin Impact. If your VPN or firewall is set up to block a lot of activity, you may find it impossible to update Genshin Impact while it’s active.
- Your Mac isn’t compatible with Genshin Impact. Got an aging Mac? A recent update may mean you can no longer play Genshin Impact on that Mac.
- Your Genshin Impact install is corrupt. Sometimes, the Genshin Impact files can fail so you’ll need to uninstall and reinstall it or opt to run Genshin Impact via your browser.
Note: When Genshin Impact won’t update, you won’t lose any files or progress as Genshin Impact data is stored on the cloud. You simply won’t be able to access it.
How to Fix the Genshin Impact Update Error on Mac
Follow the steps below to fix the Genshin Impact update error you may be seeing when trying to update it on Mac. Not all of these may apply to your situation but follow them in order and skip any that aren’t relevant.
1. Check your Mac is online. Check you’re currently online and have a strong internet connection. If you aren’t online, you can’t update Genshin Impact.
2. Restart your Mac. It’s a simple solution but restarting your Mac often fixes many issues and that can include problems updating Genshin Impact.
3. Launch Genshin Impact from your browser. If you keep seeing an “upgrade failed” message, try playing Genshin Impact via your web browser instead of using the app. By doing so, the latest version of Genshin Impact player will be installed so you can continue playing.
4. Try using a different web browser. If you also can’t get Genshin Impact to launch from your browser, try using a different one. Genshin Impact recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox rather than Safari.
5. Uninstall and reinstall Genshin Impact. Uninstall the Genshin Impact app from your Mac and try reinstalling it. This can fix issues with corrupt files.
Note: Make sure to download Genshin Impact from a reputable source.
6. Update your Mac. Sometimes updating your Mac can fix many common issues, including running Genshin Impact successfully.
7. Disable your VPN or firewall. If you use either a VPN or a firewall, the update may fail due to network issues. Disable them temporarily to update Genshin Impact.
8. Reset Genshin Impact settings. If you’re willing to delve into some settings on your Mac, navigate to Library > Preferences then delete everything in the Genshin Impact folder.
Note: To access the Library folder, with either the desktop or a Finder window as the frontmost application, hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. The Library folder appears as one of the items in the Go menu.
9. Download Genshin Impact to a USB flash drive on another Mac. If you’ve tried removing all traces of Genshin Impact on your current Mac, try downloading a new version of it via a different Mac. It requires you to have another Mac available (or from a friend), but it may fix the issue.
10. Contact Genshin Impact support. If you’ve tried all these steps and Genshin Impact still won’t work, contact Genshin Impact customer support with your Genshin Impact username, any error messages you’ve received, the model name of your Mac, and which version of macOS your Mac is running.
If you decide you don’t want to use Genshin Impact anymore, you can permanently delete it from your system. First, make sure you’ve quit and completely closed down the Genshin Impact application. Locate the Genshin Impact application icon in your Mac’s Applications folder, then drag and drop Genshin Impact into the Trash and Empty it. Note that this removes Genshin Impact from your system, but does not get rid of your Genshin Impact account.
Was this page helpful?
Costa Rozakis is a seasoned gaming troubleshooter and writer with over a decade of experience. Costa’s journey began with a love for gaming that naturally evolved into a mission to help fellow gamers overcome technical challenges and glitches. Costa also excels in crafting comprehensive game walkthrough guides.
Costa’s articles are a lifeline for gamers encountering everything from pesky bugs and connectivity problems to performance hiccups and hardware issues. So, if you find yourself stuck in a gaming dilemma, trust Costa’s insights to guide you through, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience every time.