When Freevee is not working on Apple TV, you may run into an error like one of these:
- “App Unavailable” “The app is currently unavailable” “Try again later”
- The Freevee app crashes repeatedly
- The Freevee app doesn’t load when selected
- Freevee opens, but thumbnails don’t load, or videos won’t play
These issues can occur when you first try to launch the Freevee app, when you attempt to start watching a video, or even in the middle of watching a TV show or movie.
Causes of Freevee Not Working on Apple TV
When Freevee doesn’t work on Apple TV, it can be due to:
- Connectivity issues
- Problems with the Apple TV device
- A Freevee outage
Anything that prevents your Apple TV device from connecting to Freevee, including local network problems and internet connectivity issues, can cause this problem. Issues with your Freevee login credentials can also prevent Freevee from working on Apple TV as well.
How to Fix Freevee Not Working on Apple TV
If Freevee isn’t working on your Apple TV, try each of these fixes:
1. Check to see if Freevee is down. If Freevee is down, you won’t be able to use the Freevee app on your Apple TV. Start by checking to see if the service is working at all. If Freeve is down, it won’t work on Apple TV either, and in that case, all you can do is wait for it to come back up.
2. Force-quit the Freevee app. Try closing the Freevee app on your Apple TV, and then open it again. If the app isn’t loading right, this will sometimes fix the problem.
To force quit an app on Apple TV: Press the Home button twice, select the Freevee app, then swipe up on the clickpad or touch surface of your remote.
3. Try your other Apple TV apps. If you have any other streaming apps, try using them to see if they can stream. If the other apps work just fine, then you can suspect a problem with the Freevee service or Freevee app, or a conflict between the app and the Apple TV operating system.
If the other apps don’t work, then your Apple TV probably has a connectivity issue. If they do work, then you can suspect an issue with the Freevee service, your login credentials, or the Freevee app.
4. Test your internet connection. Using a speed test app on your phone, with your phone in close proximity to the Apple TV, check your internet speed. Freevee recommends at least 3 Mbps, so it may not work on slower connections or unstable connections.
5. Verify the Apple TV is connected to the internet. Your Apple TV may not be connected even if other devices work just fine.
To check if the Apple TV is connected: Navigate to Settings > Network, and look for the Connected message. If it doesn’t say Connected, you’ll need to reconnect the Apple TV to the internet.
Tip: Try checking to make sure it’s connected to the right Wi-Fi network, or connect using an Ethernet cable if possible.
6. Check your Apple TV’s connection. If the Apple TV does show it’s connected to the internet, you can check the connection speed directly on the device. If it’s too slow, then you’ll need to take steps to improve your internet speed.
To test the internet on your Apple TV: Navigate to Settings > Network > Test Network > Yes, then select the download speed that you expect to see based on the speed of your internet.
7. Restart your Apple TV. Restarting your Apple TV can fix a lot of problems, so that’s the next thing you should try. When the Apple TV has finished restarting, try to launch the Freevee app.
To restart your Apple TV, navigate to Settings > System > Restart.
Tip: If your Apple TV isn’t responding to your inputs, you can restart it by unplugging it, waiting at least five seconds, then plugging it back in. Since it doesn’t have a power switch, that’s the only way to shut it off manually.
8. Verify your Freevee login credentials. Using your phone or computer, try to log into the Freevee website. If it doesn’t work, then check to make sure you’re using the right email and password. If it does work, then check to make sure that you’re using that same email and password to log into Freevee on your Apple TV.
9. Check your Freevee subscription status. You can’t stream from the Freevee app without a valid subscription, so check to make sure that yours hasn’t expired.
10. Update the Freevee app. If the Freevee app is out of date, that can keep it from working.
To update an app: Navigate to Settings > Apps, and make sure it’s set to Automatically Update Apps. You can also select Freevee from the list of apps and update it manually.
11. Update the Apple TV. If the Apple TV operating system is out of date, that can cause various apps to stop working.
To update your Apple TV: Navigate to Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software. If prompted, select Download and Install.
12. Restart your network hardware. If your Apple TV is having connectivity issues that you haven’t been able to fix yet, restarting your modem and router may allow it to reestablish a solid connection and start working again.
To restart your network hardware: Unplug your router and modem, then wait at least 30 seconds. Then plug the modem back in, and wait for it to connect. Once it has connected to the internet, plug the router back in. Wait for the Wi-Fi network to come back up, then check Freevee on your Apple TV.
13. Delete and reinstall the Freevee app. There may be an issue with the Freevee app on your Apple TV, in which case completely removing it and then reinstalling it may fix the problem.
To delete an app from Apple TV: Navigate to Settings > General > Manage > Storage > Freevee > Delete. Then reinstall the app, log in, and check to see if it works.
14. Factory reset your Apple TV. This process will delete everything from your Apple TV, so it should be your last resort. You’ll need to re-enter your network details, install operating system updates, download all of your apps, and sign into the apps after the reset.
To factory reset your Apple TV: Navigate to Settings > System > Reset, then choose Reset or Reset and Update on newer Apple TVs, or Restore on older Apple TV devices
Note: The Reset and Update option automatically downloads and installs operating system updates, so it requires the Apple TV to be connected to the internet.
Go to Settings > Apps > TV, and then select Freevee under the Connect to TV heading. Connecting Freevee to the Apple TV app lets you watch the next episode of a show or continue a program that’s in progress from the Home screen.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.