If you’re frustrated when Elden Ring won’t update on the Mac, we’ve got some potential solutions you can try to troubleshoot the issue.
What Causes Elden Ring to Fail to Update on Mac?
If you can’t update Elden Ring on Mac, this can be for a number of reasons with some being easier to fix than others. Here’s a quick overview of why Elden Ring might not be updating.
- The Elden Ring servers are down. Sometimes, Elden Ring’s servers can be down, so it’s a good idea to check if the issue is on your end or theirs first before doing anything else.
- A VPN or firewall is blocking access to Elden Ring. If your VPN or firewall is set up to block a lot of activity, you may find it impossible to update Elden Ring while it’s active.
- Your Mac isn’t compatible with Elden Ring. Got an aging Mac? A recent update may mean you can no longer play Elden Ring on that Mac.
- Your Elden Ring install is corrupt. Sometimes, the Elden Ring files can fail so you’ll need to uninstall and reinstall it or opt to run Elden Ring via your browser.
Note: When Elden Ring won’t update, you won’t lose any files or progress as Elden Ring data is stored on the cloud. You simply won’t be able to access it.
How to Fix the Elden Ring Update Error on Mac
Follow the steps below to fix the Elden Ring update error you may be seeing when trying to update it on Mac. Not all of these may apply to your situation but follow them in order and skip any that aren’t relevant.
1. Check your Mac is online. Check you’re currently online and have a strong internet connection. If you aren’t online, you can’t update Elden Ring.
2. Restart your Mac. It’s a simple solution but restarting your Mac often fixes many issues and that can include problems updating Elden Ring.
3. Launch Elden Ring from your browser. If you keep seeing an “upgrade failed” message, try playing Elden Ring via your web browser instead of using the app. By doing so, the latest version of Elden Ring player will be installed so you can continue playing.
4. Try using a different web browser. If you also can’t get Elden Ring to launch from your browser, try using a different one. Elden Ring recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox rather than Safari.
5. Uninstall and reinstall Elden Ring. Uninstall the Elden Ring app from your Mac and try reinstalling it. This can fix issues with corrupt files.
Note: Make sure to download Elden Ring from a reputable source.
6. Update your Mac. Sometimes updating your Mac can fix many common issues, including running Elden Ring successfully.
7. Disable your VPN or firewall. If you use either a VPN or a firewall, the update may fail due to network issues. Disable them temporarily to update Elden Ring.
8. Reset Elden Ring settings. If you’re willing to delve into some settings on your Mac, navigate to Library > Preferences then delete everything in the Elden Ring folder.
Note: To access the Library folder, with either the desktop or a Finder window as the frontmost application, hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. The Library folder appears as one of the items in the Go menu.
9. Download Elden Ring to a USB flash drive on another Mac. If you’ve tried removing all traces of Elden Ring on your current Mac, try downloading a new version of it via a different Mac. It requires you to have another Mac available (or from a friend), but it may fix the issue.
10. Contact Elden Ring support. If you’ve tried all these steps and Elden Ring still won’t work, contact Elden Ring customer support with your Elden Ring username, any error messages you’ve received, the model name of your Mac, and which version of macOS your Mac is running.
If you decide you don’t want to use Elden Ring anymore, you can permanently delete it from your system. First, make sure you’ve quit and completely closed down the Elden Ring application. Locate the Elden Ring application icon in your Mac’s Applications folder, then drag and drop Elden Ring into the Trash and Empty it. Note that this removes Elden Ring from your system, but does not get rid of your Elden Ring account.
Was this page helpful?
Costa Rozakis is a seasoned gaming troubleshooter and writer with over a decade of experience. Costa’s journey began with a love for gaming that naturally evolved into a mission to help fellow gamers overcome technical challenges and glitches.
Costa’s articles are a lifeline for gamers encountering everything from pesky bugs and connectivity problems to performance hiccups and hardware issues. Whether it’s fixing lag in multiplayer sessions, resolving graphics glitches, or tackling compatibility issues, Costa is your go-to source for navigating the often challenging landscape of gaming problem-solving.
So, if you find yourself stuck in a gaming dilemma, trust Costa’s insights to guide you through, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience every time.