If you’re frustrated when Dota 2 won’t update on the Mac, we’ve got some potential solutions you can try to troubleshoot the issue.
What Causes Dota 2 to Fail to Update on Mac?
If you can’t update Dota 2 on Mac, this can be for a number of reasons with some being easier to fix than others. Here’s a quick overview of why Dota 2 might not be updating.
- The Dota 2 servers are down. Sometimes, Dota 2’s servers can be down, so it’s a good idea to check if the issue is on your end or theirs first before doing anything else.
- A VPN or firewall is blocking access to Dota 2. If your VPN or firewall is set up to block a lot of activity, you may find it impossible to update Dota 2 while it’s active.
- Your Mac isn’t compatible with Dota 2. Got an aging Mac? A recent update may mean you can no longer play Dota 2 on that Mac.
- Your Dota 2 install is corrupt. Sometimes, the Dota 2 files can fail so you’ll need to uninstall and reinstall it or opt to run Dota 2 via your browser.
Note: When Dota 2 won’t update, you won’t lose any files or progress as Dota 2 data is stored on the cloud. You simply won’t be able to access it.
How to Fix the Dota 2 Update Error on Mac
Follow the steps below to fix the Dota 2 update error you may be seeing when trying to update it on Mac. Not all of these may apply to your situation but follow them in order and skip any that aren’t relevant.
1. Check your Mac is online. Check you’re currently online and have a strong internet connection. If you aren’t online, you can’t update Dota 2.
2. Restart your Mac. It’s a simple solution but restarting your Mac often fixes many issues and that can include problems updating Dota 2.
3. Launch Dota 2 from your browser. If you keep seeing an “upgrade failed” message, try playing Dota 2 via your web browser instead of using the app. By doing so, the latest version of Dota 2 player will be installed so you can continue playing.
4. Try using a different web browser. If you also can’t get Dota 2 to launch from your browser, try using a different one. Dota 2 recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox rather than Safari.
5. Uninstall and reinstall Dota 2. Uninstall the Dota 2 app from your Mac and try reinstalling it. This can fix issues with corrupt files.
Note: Make sure to download Dota 2 from a reputable source.
6. Update your Mac. Sometimes updating your Mac can fix many common issues, including running Dota 2 successfully.
7. Disable your VPN or firewall. If you use either a VPN or a firewall, the update may fail due to network issues. Disable them temporarily to update Dota 2.
8. Reset Dota 2 settings. If you’re willing to delve into some settings on your Mac, navigate to Library > Preferences then delete everything in the Dota 2 folder.
Note: To access the Library folder, with either the desktop or a Finder window as the frontmost application, hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. The Library folder appears as one of the items in the Go menu.
9. Download Dota 2 to a USB flash drive on another Mac. If you’ve tried removing all traces of Dota 2 on your current Mac, try downloading a new version of it via a different Mac. It requires you to have another Mac available (or from a friend), but it may fix the issue.
10. Contact Dota 2 support. If you’ve tried all these steps and Dota 2 still won’t work, contact Dota 2 customer support with your Dota 2 username, any error messages you’ve received, the model name of your Mac, and which version of macOS your Mac is running.
If you decide you don’t want to use Dota 2 anymore, you can permanently delete it from your system. First, make sure you’ve quit and completely closed down the Dota 2 application. Locate the Dota 2 application icon in your Mac’s Applications folder, then drag and drop Dota 2 into the Trash and Empty it. Note that this removes Dota 2 from your system, but does not get rid of your Dota 2 account.
Was this page helpful?
Costa Rozakis is a seasoned gaming troubleshooter and writer with over a decade of experience. Costa’s journey began with a love for gaming that naturally evolved into a mission to help fellow gamers overcome technical challenges and glitches.
Costa’s articles are a lifeline for gamers encountering everything from pesky bugs and connectivity problems to performance hiccups and hardware issues. Whether it’s fixing lag in multiplayer sessions, resolving graphics glitches, or tackling compatibility issues, Costa is your go-to source for navigating the often challenging landscape of gaming problem-solving.
So, if you find yourself stuck in a gaming dilemma, trust Costa’s insights to guide you through, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience every time.