If you’re frustrated when Diablo won’t update on the Mac, we’ve got some potential solutions you can try to troubleshoot the issue.
What Causes Diablo to Fail to Update on Mac?
If you can’t update Diablo on Mac, this can be for a number of reasons with some being easier to fix than others. Here’s a quick overview of why Diablo might not be updating.
- The Diablo servers are down. Sometimes, Diablo’s servers can be down, so it’s a good idea to check if the issue is on your end or theirs first before doing anything else.
- A VPN or firewall is blocking access to Diablo. If your VPN or firewall is set up to block a lot of activity, you may find it impossible to update Diablo while it’s active.
- Your Mac isn’t compatible with Diablo. Got an aging Mac? A recent update may mean you can no longer play Diablo on that Mac.
- Your Diablo install is corrupt. Sometimes, the Diablo files can fail so you’ll need to uninstall and reinstall it or opt to run Diablo via your browser.
Note: When Diablo won’t update, you won’t lose any files or progress as Diablo data is stored on the cloud. You simply won’t be able to access it.
How to Fix the Diablo Update Error on Mac
Follow the steps below to fix the Diablo update error you may be seeing when trying to update it on Mac. Not all of these may apply to your situation but follow them in order and skip any that aren’t relevant.
1. Check your Mac is online. Check you’re currently online and have a strong internet connection. If you aren’t online, you can’t update Diablo.
2. Restart your Mac. It’s a simple solution but restarting your Mac often fixes many issues and that can include problems updating Diablo.
3. Launch Diablo from your browser. If you keep seeing an “upgrade failed” message, try playing Diablo via your web browser instead of using the app. By doing so, the latest version of Diablo player will be installed so you can continue playing.
4. Try using a different web browser. If you also can’t get Diablo to launch from your browser, try using a different one. Diablo recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox rather than Safari.
5. Uninstall and reinstall Diablo. Uninstall the Diablo app from your Mac and try reinstalling it. This can fix issues with corrupt files.
Note: Make sure to download Diablo from a reputable source.
6. Update your Mac. Sometimes updating your Mac can fix many common issues, including running Diablo successfully.
7. Disable your VPN or firewall. If you use either a VPN or a firewall, the update may fail due to network issues. Disable them temporarily to update Diablo.
8. Reset Diablo settings. If you’re willing to delve into some settings on your Mac, navigate to Library > Preferences then delete everything in the Diablo folder.
Note: To access the Library folder, with either the desktop or a Finder window as the frontmost application, hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. The Library folder appears as one of the items in the Go menu.
9. Download Diablo to a USB flash drive on another Mac. If you’ve tried removing all traces of Diablo on your current Mac, try downloading a new version of it via a different Mac. It requires you to have another Mac available (or from a friend), but it may fix the issue.
10. Contact Diablo support. If you’ve tried all these steps and Diablo still won’t work, contact Diablo customer support with your Diablo username, any error messages you’ve received, the model name of your Mac, and which version of macOS your Mac is running.
If you decide you don’t want to use Diablo anymore, you can permanently delete it from your system. First, make sure you’ve quit and completely closed down the Diablo application. Locate the Diablo application icon in your Mac’s Applications folder, then drag and drop Diablo into the Trash and Empty it. Note that this removes Diablo from your system, but does not get rid of your Diablo account.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.