This article covers all of the tested and proven solutions for how to fix it when you can’t react to messages with emojis on Instagram.
Note: The following tips on resolving problems with Instagram will fix the issues with Android and iPhone versions of the Instagram app.
Why Can’t I React to Messages on Instagram?
There are several reasons why you might not be able to react to messages on Instagram. Here are a few of the most common:
Outdated app. Make sure you have the latest version of the Instagram app installed on your device.
Instagram Messaging not updated. If you’re not able to react to messages on your Instagram DM this could be because you haven’t updated the messaging option.
Poor internet connection.
Privacy settings. The person whose message you’re trying to react to may have their privacy settings set to prevent others from reacting to their messages.
Using Instagram Lite. Instagram Lite has limited functionality and does not support the Direct Reactions feature.
How to Fix Inability to React to Messages on Instagram
If you can’t react to messages with emojis on Instagram, here are a few things you can try to fix the problem:
1. Check your internet connection: Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi or mobile data connection. If your connection is weak, you may not be able to react to messages.
3. Update Instagram Messaging: On your profile, tap three lines > Settings > Update Messaging > Update.
4. Check privacy settings: Ask the person whose message you’re trying to react to to check their privacy settings. If their settings are set to prevent others from reacting to their messages, they will need to change them.
6. Clear the Instagram app cache on your Android device or clear the cache on an iPhone. While caching improves app performance by saving app information in local memory, it can also lead to issues with your device not receiving the latest information from Instagram. Clearing cached data will force your app to retrieve the latest information from Instagram.
7. Uninstall and reinstall the Instagram app. If nothing else has worked to this point, take the time to completely uninstall Instagram from your Android or iPhone. Then reinstall the Instagram app on your device.
Once you’ve fixed the problem, you can start reacting to messages with emojis again. Here’s how:
1. Open the Instagram app and go to your Direct Messages.
2. Select the conversation of the person you want to react to.
3. Tap and hold the message you want to react to.
4. A list of emojis will appear. Select the emoji you want to use.
The emoji will then appear as a reaction to the message, and the recipient will receive a notification informing them of the reaction.
No, users won’t be notified when you remove a reaction.
Yes, tap and hold the message, select the reaction, and tap again to remove it.
React as much as you want with different emojis, but only one reaction per emoji is allowed.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.