Activity app not working on an iPhone is a common problem that can manifest as the app freezing while in use or even completely crashing and restarting.
This page covers all of the tested and proven solutions for how to fix it when Activity app stops working on an iPhone in addition to some tips for how to stop the iPhone Activity app from freezing and crashing in the future.
Note: The fixes on this page apply to the iOS Activity app on all iPhone smartphone models from the iPhone 5S and higher.
Why Is Activity App Crashing on an iPhone?
Activity app crashing or not opening on an iPhone can be caused by an out-of-date app or operating system, a lack of free space on the iPhone, or an inability to connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular internet connection.
The Activity service being down or offline can also cause the Activity app to freeze, crash, or stop running properly.
How to Fix Activity App Not Opening on an iPhone
Here are the best solutions for how to fix Activity app problems on iPhone smartphones.
1. Check if Activity app’s down. The Activity service could be experiencing a server outage or other technical issue.
2. Switch between Wi-Fi and cellular connection. Check your iPhone’s Wi-Fi or cellular connection. The quickest way to do this is to open another app that needs an internet connection. If Wi-Fi is slow or down, switch to cellular. If cellular is slow or down, switch to Wi-Fi.
3. Toggle Airplane Mode on and off. This only takes a few seconds and is an easy way to reset your iPhone’s Wi-Fi and cellular connections.
4. Restart the Activity app on your iPhone. Properly closing the Activity app, not just minimizing it, and then opening it again could fix the problem.
5. Restart your iPhone. A quick restart can fix a number of iPhone app problems.
6. Update the Activity app. An app update may be required to get Activity to open on your iPhone and work properly.
Wait for the app update to finish. If the Activity app icon appears faded and is unresponsive, this means that the app’s in the process of being updated. Make sure your iPhone’s connected to the internet and wait until the update’s finished.
Note: An iPhone app update can take anywhere from a minute to half an hour depending on your iPhone model and the speed of the internet connection.
7. Update your iPhone. Downloading and installing the latest iOS operating system can fix a variety of system and app issues.
8. Free-up space on your iPhone. A lack of free space can often cause iPhone apps to crash or not open.
9. Log out of Activity app and then log back in. This quick process can reset your device’s connection to Activity’s servers.
10. Reinstall the Activity app. Uninstall the Activity app on your iPhone and then reinstall it via the App Store.
11. Disable iPhone’s Content & Privacy Restrictions settings. Open Settings and select Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions and make sure the main switch is off.
Tip: Alternatively, you can add Activity to the list of exceptions in Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
12. Reset your iPhone’s app settings. Performing the Reset All Settings procedure keeps all your files and data intact but will clear your iPhone’s preferences relating to how apps are used. This can clear out any conflicting settings that are stopping Activity from working properly.
Important: Make sure to choose Reset All Settings when performing a reset. Other options such as Erase All Content and Settings can completely remove everything from your iPhone.
13. Reset your iPhone’s network settings. If the Activity app is having trouble connecting to the Activity servers, performing a network settings reset could fix it.
14. Contact Activity Customer Support. If nothing else appears to be working, reach out to Activity’s official support to see if they can fix the issue.
If Activity notifications aren’t working, ensure you’ve enabled notifications in your iPhone settings. Next, go to your Activity account and select the notifications you want to receive. Also, ensure your phone isn’t set to Do Not Disturb, and clear the Activity data cache.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of expertise in crafting tech troubleshooting guides. He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
Jasper’s “How-to” guides are often referenced by experts on platforms such as JustAnswer to help answer user’s tech queries. His articles are quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies like WikiHow, Think Impact, Enterprise Apps Today, and many others.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures.