This guide will help you with Snapchat downgrade.
How to Download an Old Version of Snapchat App on Android?
Rolling back to an older version of Snapchat app isn’t straightforward on Android. Follow the below steps to download the legacy version of Snapchat app on Android.
Step 1: Uninstall the Current Version of Snapchat App
To make room for the older version of the Snapchat app, you may need to uninstall the current one.
Tip: Be aware that uninstalling the Snapchat app may erase your data, so make sure to back up any essential information before proceeding.
Step 2: Allow Apps from Unknown Sources on Android
To successfully download and install legacy versions of Android apps, you’ll need to allow apps from unknown sources on your Android device.
Follow the below steps to allow the installation of apps from unknown sources on Android.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Go to “Apps” then tap on “Special app access”. If you don’t find it, go to “Advanced” followed by “Special app access”.
- Tap on “Install unknown apps”
- Tap on the app you will use to install the third-party apps. This is usually a browser or the Files app. We’re using Chrome for this example.
- Enable the toggle next to “Allow from this source”.
- Tap on the APK file to install it.
Step 3: Roll Back to an Older Version of Snapchat App
You can manually revert to an older app version by obtaining the app’s older APK file and installing it.
This process, also known as app version management, answers your question of ‘how to install an older version of an Snapchat app.’
Here’s the step-by-step procedure:
- Go to APKMirror on your web browser.
- Search for the Snapchat app by clicking the search button in the top right
- Select the appropriate app from the search result.
- Scroll down a bit to see the current and earlier versions of the selected app.
- Select an older version that corresponds to your needs.
- Scroll down again and tap the DOWNLOAD APK button on the page to start downloading the APK file on your phone.
- Once downloaded, tap to install the APK file.
When performing an APK rollback, you can regain access to the previous app version.
Step 4: Preventing Future Updates of Snapchat App
Preventing future updates is crucial for maintaining control over your app versions and ensuring compatibility with your device.
- Open the Play Store
- Tap your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Click Settings
- Tap Network preferences
- Hit Auto-update apps
- Finally, tap Don’t auto-update apps and click Done!
Can I downgrade Snapchat on iPhone?
There’s no easy way to downgrade Snapchat on iOS without jailbreaking. Jailbreaking is altering the device system to allow the installation of third-party apps.
Note: Jailbreaking is risky because it exposes your iPhone to security threats
If you don’t have the skills or the technical knowledge to jailbreak an iPhone, it’s best to use the official Snapchat version.
Currently, Google Play Store only hosts the latest version of Snapchat. If you want to downgrade to an older version, you’ll need to download the APK file from a third-party app store website. Remember to allow installation from unknown sources on your phone to allow the device to install the downgraded Snapchat.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the Editor of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of expertise in crafting tech troubleshooting guides. He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
Jasper’s “How-to” guides are often referenced by experts on platforms such as JustAnswer to help answer user’s tech queries. His articles are quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies like WikiHow, Think Impact, Enterprise Apps Today, and many others.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures.