Closing an app on your iPhone is a simple and useful task, especially when you want to free up memory, ensure privacy, or resolve app issues. This article will guide you through various methods to close apps on your iPhone, ensuring your device runs smoothly.
Method 1: Close an iPhone App from the Home Screen:
- Access the App Switcher: On an iPhone with Face ID, swipe up from the bottom and pause in the middle of the screen. On an iPhone with a Home button, double-click the Home button.
- Swipe Through Open Apps: Swipe left or right to navigate through the open apps.
- Close the App: Swipe the app you want to close upward, pushing it off the screen. This action will shut down the app.
Method 2: Force Close an Unresponsive iPhone App:
- Access the App Switcher: Follow the same steps as in Method 1 to access the App Switcher.
- Locate the Unresponsive App: Find the unresponsive app in the App Switcher.
- Force Close the App: Swipe the unresponsive app upward with a firm motion to force it to close. This is useful when an app is frozen or not responding.
Method 3: Close All Background Apps:
- Access the App Switcher: Use the same steps as in Method 1 to open the App Switcher.
- Close Multiple Apps: With multiple apps open in the App Switcher, use multiple fingers or multiple swipes to close several apps at once. Simply swipe multiple apps upward simultaneously to close them.
Method 4: Close Apps from the App Library (iOS 14 and later):
- Access the App Library: Swipe left from your last Home screen to access the App Library.
- View Recently Used Apps: Scroll down and find the “Recently Added” section, which displays recently used apps.
- Close an App: Tap and hold on an app icon until it enters jiggle mode (it will have an “X” in the upper left corner). Tap the “X” on the app icon to close it.
Method 5: Close Apps on Older iPhone Models:
- Double-Click the Home Button: On older iPhone models with a physical Home button, double-click the Home button to access the App Switcher.
- Swipe and Close: Swipe left or right to navigate through open apps and swipe an app upward to close it.
Knowing how to close apps on your iPhone is essential for managing your device’s performance and maintaining a clutter-free experience. Whether you have a newer iPhone with Face ID or an older model with a Home button, these methods will help you efficiently close apps as needed, ensuring your iPhone operates smoothly.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of experience in Search Engine Optimization.He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
With a passion for technology and a natural aptitude for understanding consumer behavior, Jasper has built a successful career in blogging.He has been quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures. With his thick-rimmed glasses and geeky demeanor, Jasper is a true tech nerd at heart.
You can read more about the team here.