When an app stops working, there are a few quick ways to check and see if it’s the app’s problem or yours. If it’s yours, there are several things you can do to get the app back fast.
How to Tell if an App Is Down
If you think the app is down for everyone and not just you, try these simple steps to check if you’re correct.
1. Check a third-party “status checker” website like Downdetector. DownDetector is a website that aggregates user reports of website and app outage. If there are widespread reports of outages, the app is likely down.
Note: Even if DownDetector doesn’t show any reported outages, it doesn’t necessarily mean the app is working fine. It could be that the outage is affecting a small number of users, or that DownDetector hasn’t received enough reports yet.
2. Search X (Twitter) for #app or #appdown. Remember to tap the Latest tab at the top of the search results to get the most up-to-the-second results.
Be careful when relying on social media for troubleshooting information. Not all posts are accurate, and some users may be mistaken about the cause of the problem.
Also, search the official Facebook page for updates. If there’s a large-scale problem occurring, the company might post information about it here.
3. Check the app’s status page: Many apps have a dedicated status page that provides information about any ongoing outages or maintenance. Search for the app’s name followed by “status page” to find the relevant webpage.
If the app’s status page reports an outage, you’ll just have to wait for the developers to resolve the issue. There’s nothing you can do on your end to fix it.
What to Do If App Is Down Just For You
If the app appears to be working fine for everyone except you, then there are a few things you might do to fix it.
1. Check your internet connection. The quickest way to do this is to open another app that needs an internet connection. If Wi-Fi is slow or down, switch to cellular. If cellular is slow or down, switch to Wi-Fi.
3. Check whether the app is up to date. You can check Google Play Store or Apple App Store to check whether there is any latest notification regarding updates. If there are any updates, complete the app update process.
4. You can also try reinstalling the app. Sometimes, just reinstalling the app fixes the issue.
5. If you’re having trouble with the app, try the web version.
If the app or browser window seems to be stuck and not closing fully, try restarting your device instead.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the founder of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of expertise in crafting tech troubleshooting guides. He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
Jasper’s “How-to” guides are often referenced by experts on platforms such as JustAnswer to help answer user’s tech queries. His articles are quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies like WikiHow, Think Impact, Enterprise Apps Today, and many others.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures.