In this guide, you’ll explore how to use the black box feature on Discord to add mystery and safeguard sensitive messages.
How to do Black Box on Discord
On Discord channels, you’ll find black boxes hiding text. Click to reveal, adding suspense or privacy. Using black boxes creates suspense or protects info.
It’s a safe way to include sensitive words. On Discord, black boxes let recipients choose to view or not. Here are two methods for creating a black box on Discord.
1. Using the “/spoiler” command. Discord provides the “/spoiler” command for users to create a black box when sending messages.
- Open your Discord application and navigate to the desired text channel or direct message.
- Type “/spoiler” in the message area, and select the suggested command option.
- Enter the text you wish to black out after the command. The syntax should look like this: “/spoiler message: <your-text>“.
- Press Enter or click Send to post the message.
- The text will appear as a black box, requiring the recipient to click on it to reveal the hidden content.
2. Using vertical bars. You can also use vertical bars (||) to create a black box on Discord.
- Open Discord and access the text channel or direct message where you want to send the black box.
- Before and after the text you want to conceal, add two vertical bars (||). Your syntax should resemble this: “|| <your-text> ||“.
- Press Enter or click Send to share the message.
- The enclosed text will appear as a black box, waiting for the recipient to uncover its contents.
Was this page helpful?
Jasper Reed is the Editor of heyhowtodoit.com with 8+ years of expertise in crafting tech troubleshooting guides. He has researched, tested, and written hundreds of articles ranging from social media platforms to messaging apps.
Jasper’s “How-to” guides are often referenced by experts on platforms such as JustAnswer to help answer user’s tech queries. His articles are quoted and referenced by major publications and media companies like WikiHow, Think Impact, Enterprise Apps Today, and many others.
An avid traveler and tech enthusiast, Jasper loves to explore new places and experience different cultures.